The first Friday of the month is reserved for recipes. You can see additional First Friday Food posts here.
Okay, I have to admit that a cabbage-based dish didn’t sound all that appealing to me. I mean, cabbage is just…cabbage, you know? Please don’t let that stop you from trying this, because if you do you will be missing out on something that is awesome.
This is so easy to make, which means it’s one that we can keep in our regular rotation. We’re always looking for easy meals for weekday preparation. I’d say we probably eat it at least once every other week.
Even though the cabbage and cannellini are what make this unique, it’s mostly really a fried potato recipe. And come on, who doesn’t like fried potatoes?
The fried potatoes give it a sort of breakfasty feel, but we eat if for supper. So what, you never heard of brinner?
I’m telling you, when we have this, I can’t shovel it in my mouth fast enough. And the best part? It costs like $3 to feed the four of us!
Adapted from Super Natural Every Day by Heidi Swanson
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, scrubbed and cut into tiny cubes
- 1 shallot, minced
- One 15-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 a head of very finely shredded green cabbage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- Dice the potatoes and cut up shallot
- The cabbage has to be shredded. I suppose you could buy shredded cabbage, but we prefer to shred our own in the vitamix.
- Fry the potatoes in oil turning as needed ~10 min (add shallot and salt after about 5) or until golden brown
- Add the cannellini beans and continue to cook ~3 minutes
- Add cabbage and cook until wilted, ~2 – 3 minutes
- Top with parmesan