The first Friday of the month is reserved for recipes. You can see additional First Friday Food posts here.
Laziness. Laziness is the reason we made this.
The kids were gone and we had these tomatoes from the garden and we said, “hey, we should just, like, eat these.”
That’s how magic happens, folks.
I’m sure you could do this in any number of varieties, but we made two kinds and they were so good that we didn’t mess with it. So we always make the same:
- Tomato, sharp cheddar, and chives
- Tomato, boursin, and basil
It is absolutely mandatory that the tomatoes be fresh from a garden, though. Don’t defame brilliance with your sub-par, tasteless, grocery store tomato-shaped orbs.
Alright, look. So it’s not really a recipe, and I’m sure I didn’t invent it. It’s tomatoes, cheese, and bread, toasted. It doesn’t matter. IT IS SO RIDICULOUSLY TASTY. Just make it.
- Fresh herbs
- Grow the tomatoes
- Slice the tomatoes
- Toast the bread in the broiler or on the grill or in a toaster oven or in a toaster
- Put some cheese on the bread
- Put a slice of tomato on the bread
- Put it back under the broiler or on the grill or in a toaster oven (But NOT back in the toaster! This is important!)
- Sprinkle some herbs on it.