Well, I guess we better get some good crops out of our garden this year…looks like it might be the first and only year! The land is owned by the University of Chicago who recently inked a deal to buy out a seminary on campus and move them to that location. From the University’s liaison:
“As we have discussed many times over the years (most recently in my letter of April 2008), the community use and enjoyment of the garden is temporary. We have long planned to develop this land for University
I know we aren’t entitled to the land and there are certainly people who have more of a right than us to be upset considering we haven’t even harvested our first crops yet, but it is kind of a bummer.
So, we were told there may be a survey at work sent to selected employees. Therefore, I was not too surprised when the link arrived in my email box. But the first sentence just cracked me up: This is not a phishing attempt. Oh, well that makes me feel a little better! Surely if it were someone trying to steal information from me to gain illegal access to my computer they wouldn’t be allowed to say “this is not a phishing attempt.” And in bold and italics no less, so they REALLY REALLY mean it sincerely. I guess all of the other stuff in the email must be true too, like how when I forward it to 10 people a little animation of Bill Gates will pop up and hand me a $10 bill through my monitor which I can send to Nigeria to recieve a million dollars. I think that email set cyber security back 10 years.
Okay, I don’t really like to participate in these blog chain letter type things, but when one is forced on me by an evil person, I must obey. I’m really hardly better than a trained monkey, folks. I will not force others to do it though!
What were you doing five years ago?
Hmm, May ’03. Not married yet, not even engaged. Wow, didn’t even have the cat yet! Hadn’t started grad school yet either. What the heck was I doing?? Getting ready to move frm Norristown to KOP and playing a lot of guitar I guess.
What are five things on your to-do list for today (not in any particular order)?
1. Get Evie to take good naps – check
2. Get Evie to eat all of her food – check
3. Finish all of my hours for work – check
4. Go for a walk with Evie and water the garden – no check
5. Write a blog post – soon to be checked
What are five snacks you enjoy?
1. Potato chips
3. Cheese and crackers
4. Ice cream
What five things would you do if you were a billionaire?
1. Quit my job and start my own consulting company.
2. Become a land baron.
3. Send Evie to the Lab School.
4. Donate to Keith and the Girl.
5. Find some really good cause to donate to where the money could really make a tangible difference to somebody, like building roads in Africa (West Wing reference), rather than the “popular” causes that everybody donates to.
What are five of your bad habits?
1. Being moody and over sensitive.
2. Talking too much.
3. Compulsively cleaning my plate.
4. Actually, just being compulsive on finishing things in general (projects, etc.)
5. Licking my fingers after eating (courtesy of Sara)
What are five places where you have lived?
1. Janesville, WI
2. Fort Wayne, IN
3. West Lafayette, IN
4. Wayne, PA
5. Chicago, IL
What are five jobs you’ve had?
1. Paper boy
2. Sandwich artist
3. Food service captain
4. GUI team lead
5. Software Engineer